The year 2000 was a special year for everyone, even more so for the people of Hedon. That year Hedon celebrates its 800th anniversary of its Charter granted by King John in 1200. Over the years Hedon has been granted several charters. In 1348 Hedon was the first Town in Yorkshire to be granted a Charter of Incorporation by Edward III, giving the right to elect a Mayor and other officers to administer the affairs of the borough. 2000 is our 653rd Mayoral Year. Hedon is a classic example of a new Norman town. Founded about 1130 by William le Gros (the Fat One), Earl of Aumale and Lord of Holderness, the place quickly became a port and market town of great importance. King Stephen (1135-1154) ordered a royal mint to be set up in Hedon. A Royal Charter granted by Henry II in 1158 gave the burgesses of Hedon privileges equal to those enjoyed by the citizens of York and Lincoln. In 1295 Hedon returned two members to Parliament and, although the borough was not represented in Parliament for many years, from 1547 until 1832 Hedon was permanently represented by two MP5. Some became important in the government of the day. One was appointed Minister for War, one Secretary to the Treasury, two were First Lords of the Admiralty and several were Directors of the East India Company. Three circumnavigated the world in search of trade routes for the benefit of the nation. A list of the MP’s who represented Hedon can be seen in the council chamber of the Town Hall. In 1972 the government introduced an Act of Parliament which, with effect from 1st April 1974, took away Hedon’s borough status. This was an abrogation of all the Royal Charters granted to Hedon over the centuries. Many small ancient boroughs suffered this same fate. However, Hedon retained possession of the Town Hall and a very fine collection of Corporation Silver and no-one can rob us of our past glory and history. In 1996 Hedon opened its Museum to the public, collections of local goods and services are on display.